England U16 Men's Roster Named For Tournament - Hoopsfix.com

England U16 Men’s Roster Named For Tournament

Mo Soluade England Basketball
England U16’s Head Coach Simon Fisher has named his 12 man roster for the Belgium tournament that they will be taking part in over the Christmas break, aptly named ‘X-mas Tournament’.

The roster is as follows;

Luke Attfield (Bognor Royals)
Nicholas Bohling (Gravelines, France)
Oliver Hannam (Leeds Tigers)
Brandon Hitchman (City of Birmingham)
Tyrell Isaacs (Westminster Warriors)
Cameron McKay (Cheshire Jets)
Luke Nelson (Worthing Thunder)
Dwayne Orija (Westminster Warriors)
Jonathan Orells (Taunton Tigers)
Sam Round (Northants)
Elliot Spence (Brentwood Fire)
Mo Soluade (Bucks Hornets)

What do you think? Agree with the 12 man roster? Anyone you’d like to see in there who you feel has been overlooked? Drop a comment and let us know! (bare in mind, some players weren’t available/injured)

24 Comments

1. Cant teach height lol

December 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I think it is a real solid team, well balanced with a lot of athletes and length… throw in a couple good shooters and some knock down shooters(which was something they lacked last year)
    I am not a fan of Luke Attfield being included in this team though. This is a kid who is not playing National League. Is at Bognor Royals which is a very small club and I think he sits on the bench for the d4 mens team. Where the last time I saw him he looked like he was just learning to catch and do lay-ups with both hands. I don’t think England National tournaments should be the time to try and develop this type of player. They will see him once a month at National Team training and try and throw him into International competition and the whole thing will be counterproductive… The Great Britain Pathway should be making sure this kid is getting the correct training and advice day in day out so he may be able to contribute this summer at the Europeans. Not just sitting on the bench for bognor royals in d4 and training once a week with a coach who probably has no idea how to develop young players. Why is this kid not being told to get to one of the local established clubs with a proven track record like Worthing, Solent or Reading…

• Adam Robbins should get more r

December 12, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Adam Robbins, the Bognor Royals u16’s co-coach is easily one of the best coaches in the south east catchment. He’s a great one to one coach and it’s amazing what he’s managed to get out of Luke Attfield in just one hour of one to one training a week. The issue with Luke isn’t the level of coaching that he receives, it’s the ammount of it and of course the lack of players of that hight to compete against which is nothing to do with his coach.

• Cedric Ceballos

December 13, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I won’t bash any coach I don’t know but when it comes to coaching guys that have little skill set of course your are going to progress at a decent rate with a player. But here we are talking about a player that is now a “England Player!”
        You have coaches with years of coaching under thier belts along the south coast in Worthing, Guildford, the two Southampton clubs Kestrels/Trailblazers and Reading. You also have a Great Britain coach down on the south coast called Jimmie Guymon who developed J. Freeland the guy who was drafted by the NBA team Portland Trailblazers and I’ve heard people say he is the best player development coach in the country!!
        I would also say there are player that could compete against luke at center regardless of being “that height” or not.

My point is if this kid is a prospect it is important, no it is very important he gets the right coaching to develop and isn’t held back and I hope England Basketball are doing something about that!

2. Laitan Fawehinmi

December 10, 2010 at 11:49 am

Very good pick of Cameron Mckay and Sam Round !!

3. Luke and his coach deserve his

December 13, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Luke and adam have both worked hard to get him into the team adam puts in a lot of time and effort to try and find better drills for luke to do and work on they both deserve credit for thier work

4. Cedric Ceballos

December 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I understand the frustration of the guy(player?) above I don’t think the above comment was directed at Luke, as the title says “cant teach height” and thats something this guy most definitely has… and that is exactly right. As Luke has an interest in basketball of course we should look to develop someone of that height, we would be stupid not too.

But this is the same thing they done last year with Kingsley… And on a European stand these guys only have one thing and that is height, are they going to compete with European players of a similar height? In my opinion not right now, maybe someday and HOPEFULLY someday. I would wish nothing but success for these guys but right now you take your strongest players to play in tournaments such as the european championships whilst keeping a strong relationship with developing players such as Luke and Kingsly.

And as the guy said above, look at the clubs that aren’t all that far away for a serious player to consider. Three top prem clubs come to mind with Worthing, Solent and Guildford!! Would Luke benefit from joining one of these club? MOST DEFINITELY WOULD!!!

Anyway all the best for Luke, personally I wish him every success!! But if your going to take it seriously you need to get to one of those clubs!!

5. Adam Robbins

December 22, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Well thank god for the internet! At least we have a chance to state our opinions with anonymity and enthusiasm.

I think people are giving me a bit of misrepresentation here so i’ll just put the record straight:

Firstly I am the best sicence teacher who coachs basketball for free in this country:)

Secondly, We are not trying to keep Mr Attfield to ourselves so that i can go on massive ego trip and win a few local league games. Our club prides itself on being child-focussed and we aim to support luke in anyway we can. It is important to realise that most casual observers are not privy to all the facts and are quick to assume they know the best way to help people without even considering that persons view.

It is also worth noting that although i play no part in the national league set up (worthing) that we actively encourgae our players to attend, even offering to waive certain club fees to help compensate for the greater cost incurred. In fact my brothers both played national league and i have spent many a weekend on motorways supporting them.

My next issue is directed at those people that look at luke and think hes just a 7 footer, and forget to add that while his athleticism has a long way to go, he has worked incredibly hard on his fundamentals to the point where he has a reliable jumpshot inside of 20 feet, has good footwork and passes eceptionally well for a guy his size.

As for playing against players his own size? if only there was a situation where he could travel to a country to play the best players in that land and gain valuable experience, oh wait there is! and its happening next week. Can’t we just let the guy enjoy this moment and deal with the question of how good he is when he comes back?

Yes he would be a better player at this point if he played national league, maybe more importantly for some he would have made worthing a very strong team to contend with. But unfortunately for our commenters on here that was not his decision this year and it wont change now.

If you want to know anymore about the work i put luke through on sundays and tuesdays please dont hesitate to pop in a sructinise we’re at; the arena bognor regis PO215LH phone them up for specifics of when we get back training 01243870000.

or if you prefer email me with any questions: arobbinsATwsgflDOTorgDOTuk

merry christmas

6. Don

December 22, 2010 at 8:44 pm

^flippin quality

7. Cedric Ceballos

December 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Adam,

I think in general the main comment is more of a criticism on England Basketball and the process rather than Luke.
    I would say without a doubt no one would not like to see Luke to do well. To see our prospects develop in to great players is the whole point of junior clubs.

It would however definitely frustrate me if my child was identified as a prospect whether it be on height or ability and was not receiving expert coaching, dedicated time and advice from a decent national programme.

Do kids Luke hieght turn up in this country alot, No. So when there is a hint of an interest in the game England Basketball try to pick them up throwing them in there right in the deep end with minimum experience and coaching. They need to think about his development, have they even tried to get him to a club like Worthing or Guildford to recieve development? I mentioned the guy who coached Joel Freeland, have England Basketball tried to get Luke out to him? Are they trying to develop him or are they just shipping him off to the England camps hoping they sprinkle some magic dust and he Blossoms into the next Dan Clark?

Like I said before I wish nothing but success for the kid, and I really do hope England Basketball are doing all they can to develop players like Luke and Kingsly….

8. Adam Robbins

December 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I can see your point cedric, and might i add i was a big fan of that blindfold dunk.

We have some players who currently play for the kestrals (which the guyman family co-ordinate) and we have some players currently playing for the worthing thunder. Unfortunately for those teams Luke decided to not play for them. It’s his choice. they have been in contact and like all contact we have passed it on to him, maybe next season or over the summer he will make a different decision.

the biggest travesty is the situation in schools PE. The fact that Lukes school has a leisure centre attatched to it, yet he cant play after school and has no school team is rediculous. The sooner schools begin to set up local sports networks to pool talent the better.

• Cedric Ceballos

December 22, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Totally agree with you on the schools set up. and I mean TOTALLY!!!

I find it difficult to see why a kid serious about basketball would not want to join a National League squad, but obviously he has his reasons. The Kestrels set up were National Champions at his age group I believe and the Worthing set up is a real nice programme.

I will just add that I hope you are getting some sort of support from Lukes England coach, if Luke takes this route then you really need to push for thier help.

Also its interesting what the guy below says about a contract for rest of life, I can get where he’s coming from.

Good luck with Luke…

P.S. I never told anyone but I could see through the blindfold on that dunk! ;-)

• Adam Robbins

December 23, 2010 at 8:32 am

hahaha i thought so

yes i have been in contact with his coach and we are trying to keep a consistant message and work on the key priorities

9. Can't Teach Height lol

December 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Hey Adam… Came on a bit strong to be fair… And in no way did I mean to disrespect someone who gives up there time to coach kids for free… Just really wanted to emphasise the point you made by saying you work with Luke 2 times a week… Which I am sure has done him a lot of good and his game has progressed… But living in a country where basketball competition isn’t its strongest… I would say a minimum of 4 individual sessions per week, plus team sessions is what he would need to do to replicate what talented players of his height would be doing in top European Countries and America… At 7 foot he is guaranteed contracts in pro leagues the rest of his life… But that could either be as a guy they keep on the bench or the guy that makes millions, and that all depends on how hard he works on his game now(in his development years)… If someone worked with that kid everyday from now til the summer, he would be able to make a name for himself in the Euro’s… 2 days a week I doubt would even get him a place on the team…

10. Cedric Ceballos

December 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm

^flippin quality

11. jermaine

January 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm

when was it

• Cedric Ceballos

January 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Was just after Christmas….

12. jermaine

January 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm

how did it go for them

13. tyler

June 23, 2011 at 8:15 pm

is there a spot for people to play for a team

14. tyler

June 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm

im realy good so to say im south african

15. tyler

June 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm

let me know email me at [email protected]il.om

16. dpeti

June 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I am not sure if the above guys are coaches or players or just excatly what is their experience of international junior basketball.

What must be remembered is that we are trying to produce an INTERNATIONAL team, that is a team that can, eventually, play at an U18 division B level. (We will NEVER have an U18 team capable of playing at Division A level.

The U18 team that competed in Cherbourg demonstrated just how far we are behind at internationbal level and it is to be hoped that the present U16 squad will provide a much better foundation for the future.

It will not unless there is a dramatic increase in the quality of coaching, amongst many other things

• Sam Neter

June 26, 2011 at 9:37 am

We will NEVER have an U18 team capable of playing at Division A level?

Pretty sweeping (and negative) statement. If everyone who was involved with basketball in this country had that attitude, do you think that would help us produce a team capable of competing at any level? (Or help basketball in the UK at all, in any way, shape or form?)

17. dpeti

June 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

Unfortunately the only way to develop basketball, as has been suggested by others, is to have an almost clean sweep of various personnel in the Administration, a complete reorganization of coaching and coaching courses, and a complete re-appraisal of our leagues and their structure, most especially at junior level.

It would seem that nobody is prepared to admit just how far we are behind other countries. 30 years ago people like Peter Horn and many others said that basketball in this country will not improve. Many others, myself included, said exactly what the commenter above said. However it would seem that Peter was correct as basketball now is at a much lower level, comparatively, than it was then.

There are many people working their backsides off to try and improve the game, but all their efforts are being either wasted or ignored by the very poor service provided by the present Administration.

Negative? Perhaps, but it is the truth, and the sooner everybody recognizes and admits this, then, just maybe, basketball in England will improve.

18. Roy

June 26, 2011 at 11:24 am

Having just read the two comments above, I can certainly see both points of view.

However I have to agree that basketbasll is in a far worse state now than it has ever been. I like to think that I have contributed in a small way to trying to help the sport develop over many years and it has certainly been extremely difficult given the overall lack of support, encouragement and service provided to me (and many others) by the various Administrations we have had.

Like Sam, I was always rebelling against those who said the sport will never improve, but, to date, it most certainly has not. Why?!!!! Let’s not get into that here!!!!!

I went to the tournament in France in which the England U18 team competed and If I say I was disappointed by its performance, this would be the understatement of the year. If this really is the best we can offer at this international level, then we have very little chance of ever competing at a Division A level.