Image credit: Mansoor Ahmed/BBL
Check out the weekly BBL recap as the 2017-18 regular season moved onto Round 2 this past weekend.
06/10 – Leicester Riders earned their second win of the season as they defeated Bristol Flyers 79-59 in their home opener.
- Quarter scores: 16-19, 26-10, 25-12, 12-18
- Riders held Flyers to 22 points in pivotal middle periods
- Pierre Hampton had 15 of team-high 17 points in first half
- Tyler Bernardini all-round 7p/9r/6a/4st
- JR Holder 17p – Adam Weary/Brandon Boggs 13p
- Riders have won all 10 BBL meetings with Bristol
06/10 – Newcastle Eagles continued their dominance over Glasgow Rocks as they recorded a convincing 119-104 success at Sport Central.
- Quarter scores: 30-28, 31-18, 30-26, 28-32
- Saah Nimley 8-16 3PT in 37p haul, Jaysean Paige 33p/7st
- Eagles broke clear with devastating 18-2 run in second
- Jalen Billups 28p/11r; Earl Brown 27p/10r; Ali Fraser 24p
- 30 turnovers for Rocks, 19 in first half
- Fab Flournoy handed out 10 assists
- Newcastle have won last 21 games against Glasgow
06/10 – London Lions improved to a 3-0 start with an emphatic 115-74 success at the Copper Box against Manchester Giants.
- Quarter scores: 29-15, 21-22, 38-20, 27-17
- Lions remain unbeaten ahead of clash with Newcastle next week
- Justin Robinson first BBL double-double with 19p/13a
- Demonte Flannigan 23p; Momcilo Latinovic 21 – six in double figures
- 38 points in the third from Lions to take lead beyond 30
- David Kadiri 16p/8r; Callum Jones 13p/7a – Jerelle Okoro suspended
06/10 – Sheffield Sharks made it two wins in a row as they beat Leeds Force 98-71 in the first Yorkshire derby of the season.
- Quarter scores: 20-21, 26-15, 36-16, 16-19
- Sharks swung momentum with dominant start to the second
- Zach Gachette 21p/7a; Mackey McKnight 20p
- Tony Wroblicky with the first half double-double, finishes with 14p/18r
- Improvements for Force, handed out two debuts (Nix/Mzege)
- Ingus Bankevics 17p; Eric Childress 15p/8a
08/10 – Plymouth Raiders picked up their first win as they survived a scare before finishing strong to beat Leeds Force 98-78.
- Quarter scores: 25-21, 22-21, 25-27, 26-9
- Leeds had led 56-65 before 14-0 Watson burst
- Neil Watson fired in nine triples in 38-point haul
- First win for Gavin Love in second spell as Raiders HC
- Greg Mays 22p/10r (9-10 FG)
- Tavarion Nix 19p for Force as they suffer third straight defeat
08/10 – Newcastle made it three from three and completed a successful double-header as they eased past Manchester Giants 70-102.
- Quarter scores: 14-29, 13-24, 19-24, 24-25
- Giants led 8-7 early before 26-6 spell from visitors gained control
- Saah Nimley 17p, Jaysean Paige 15p/9r, Terry Martin 15p
- 39 points off the bench for the Eagles
- David Kadiri 21p/16r in third loss for Giants
- Eagles join Lions on 3-0 start ahead of clash at Sport Central next week
08/10 – Malcolm Riley netted the late triple to secure an 82-80 victory for Cheshire Phoenix at home to Surrey Scorchers in their opener.
- Quarter scores: 30-9, 10-29, 19-25, 23-17
- Riley’s game-winning three capped 5-0 close
- RJ Sandoval 26p (9-10 FG), Raheem May-Thompson 17p/11r
- Surrey were 32-9 down early in the second, but led 75-80 in final minute
- Tony Hicks had 23p – last gasp heave rimmed out at the buzzer
- Scorchers have dropped their last two games after winning on opening night
Friday – London Lions 115-74 Manchester Giants, Newcastle Eagles 119-104 Glasgow Rocks, Leicester Riders 79-59 Bristol Flyers, Sheffield Sharks 98-71 Leeds Force; Sunday – Plymouth Raiders 98-71 Leeds Force, Manchester Giants 70-102 Newcastle Eagles,
Lions/Eagles 3-0; Riders 2-0; Sharks 2-1; Phoenix 1-0; Raiders/Flyers 1-1; Scorchers 1-2; Wolves 0-1; Rocks 0-2; Force/Giants 0-3
Keep an eye out for the weekly Hoopsfix BBL Top 10 Plays of the Week!