British

Devon van Oostrum Declares for NBA Draft

April 29, 2014 7:14 am 10 comments

Post image for Devon van Oostrum Declares for NBA Draft

Great Britain and Laboral Kutxa point guard Devon van Oostrum has declared for the 2014 NBA draft.

“I entered my name in the draft because I think it’s the right move for my career,” said Van Oostrum talking to Hoopsfix on Monday.

“Whether I stay in the draft or not depends on how my summer goes and the feedback I get leading up to it,” he continued, having until June 18th to withdraw should he choose to.

With just under two months to prepare, van Oostrum, who as a 1993 born becomes auto-eligible next year, is hoping for another invite to adidas EUROCAMP in Treviso (he participated in 2012), the biggest NBA pre-draft camp outside of the US, and then will head to the US for a summer league.

“Nothing is certain yet but Treviso will be an option and after I will go to Vegas for 2 weeks for Impact Basketball. I will do workouts if teams ask for workouts.”

The 6’3″ point guard has struggled for minutes this season, appearing in just 10 ACB and 10 Euroleague games, and though DVO admits it has been challenging, is looking at the positives.

“The season has been challenging to say the least, its always tough playing low minutes. But looking back on it I’ve had the chance to work on my game further individually and ready myself for this summer,” the 2013 Under-20 Division B European Championship MVP said.

DVO averaged a tournament leading 26.8 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.9 assists (3rd) and 1.4 steals-per-night (15th) in Romania, before suiting up for the GB Senior Team at Eurobasket where he averaged 7.2 points, 2.6 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game as their youngest player and one of the youngest players in the tournament.

Van Oostrum was also nominated for the 2013 FIBA Europe Young Men’s Player of the Year award.

If Devon keeps his name in and does end up being selected, he will be the first British player picked in the NBA draft since Ryan Richards in 2010 (San Antonio Spurs, 49th pick in the second round).

Hoopsfix wants to wish Devon all the best with his preparation for the Draft!

Image Credit: GB Basketball

hooser April 29, 2014 at 10:06 am

This is a really smart publicity move, Devon will be a first round pick
But not yet, he hasn’t played his minutes and proved himself, look at Joel Freeland.. he’s way
To good for second round, but this will get his name out there even more, he’ll put out by June

Alex April 29, 2014 at 10:17 am

Good luck to DVO. Was joel freeland not the most recent british player to be selected in the draft?

Sam Neter April 29, 2014 at 11:09 am

Nah, Freeland was selected in the 2006 draft.

Steve L April 29, 2014 at 6:13 pm

British basketball take note, remember the funding

Phil April 30, 2014 at 6:27 pm

DVO is probably my second favourite british player after Luke Nelson but this is a smart move especialy due to the lack of ‘ready’ point guards in this NBA draft:
1. Dante Exum Australia 6-6 190
2. Marcus Smart
3. Tyler Ennis
4. Vasilije Micic
5. Deonte Burton
6. Elfrid Payton Louisiana Lafayette
7. Semaj Christon Xavier
8. Jordan Clarkson Missouri
9. Shabazz Napier Connecticut
10. Jahii Carson Arizona State
I think Devon would come somewhere between 8-12 in the point guard rankings.

hooser May 1, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I’m sorry but if shabazz Napier is 9 on your list, then Devon is not near him…. Devon didn’t get minutes, I think he is great but he is unproven. Think about napiers performance in the final.

E May 2, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Well if Dennis Schroeder was the 17th pick last year there is always a hope,european ballers come pro ready,no drama and zero baggage !!!

hooser May 3, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I think that’s probably fair to say about Devon ha but think about Ryan Richards , it’s such a shame man he should be in the Nba x

herby baby June 18, 2014 at 9:37 pm
neil w June 19, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Will probably mean that he will suit up for gb now he has withdrawn