Great Britain Futures ended their three game series against Lithuania U21s with a 69-67 loss at Surrey Sports Park, Guildford on Saturday night.
Andrew Lawrence’s three point attempt at the buzzer came up short as GB split the official games with Lithuania at 1 game a piece, as well as a victory in the Thursday night scrimmage. There were 19 lead changes throughout the game with neither team being able to pull away.
Ogo Adegboye led GB with 14 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists in what was easily his best game of the series, whilst Matthew Bryan-Amaning added 13 points and 6 rebounds. They were the only two players for GB in double figures, as Myles Hesson was the next leading scorer with 9 points and 5 rebounds. Andrew Lawrence had 8 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists as he made his debut with the Futures this year after being struck by fever over the course of the week.
Peciukevius was unstoppable in the first half for Lithuania, having 17 of his 24 points, as well as finishing the game with 4 rebounds 4 assists and 2 steals. Mindaugas Kupsas added 10 points and 7 rebounds.
- Shane Walker was again forced to sit out, whilst Devon van Oostrum wasn’t present due to attending Adidas Eurocamp in Treviso.
- Coach Mokeski said after the game that Matthew Bryan-Amaning, Devon van Oostrum, Ogo Adegboye and Kyle Johnson had been the standouts of the series for him. He added approximately 4 or 5 Futures players will be at senior camp in Houston.
- Amazing that despite the crowd being two thirds British and a third Lithuanian, the Lithuanians accounted for 90% of all the noise.
- GB starters: Ogo Adegboye, Ben Mockford, Kyle Johnson, Ovie Soko, and Matthew Bryan-Amaning.
- Couple of pretty big missed dunks from Ovie and Matthew that would’ve posterised a couple of the Lithuanians but on both occasions they put a little too much sauce on it and it bounced off the back of the rim!
- Tough week for Ashley Hamilton who sustained a groin injury in the first minute of the opening scrimmage which essentially forced him to miss all three games. Within 2 minutes of being subbed in to this game, he tweaked it as he slipped and the physio got him pulled from the game – much to his dismay.
- Rebounding was a recurring problem all week, with Lithuania getting a number of second chance opportunities.
- All of GB’s player stats can be found here, whilst Lithuania’s are here.
Did you make it to the game? Thoughts?
Join the 8000+ others who follow Hoopsfix and subscribe.