Great Britain’s basketball team returned to the Olympics for the first time since 1948 on Sunday, but suffered a heavy 95-75 loss at the hands of Russia.
Russia’s Aleksey Shved (16 points, 6 rebounds, 13 assists and 3 steals) and Andrei Kirilenko (35 points on 14/17 shooting) showed their class as they picked apart GB, who struggled under pressure in the back court with a lack of point guard play.
GB will now look to bounce back on Tuesday as they face Brazil.
Nigeria beat Tunisia 60-56
Alade Aminu led Nigeria with 15 points and 9 rebounds, Ike Diogu had a 13 point, 10 rebound double double and Al-Farouq Aminu added 10 points and 9 rebounds. Tunisia were led by 18 points from Amine Rzig, whilst Macram Ben Romdhane had 12 points and 12 rebounds.
Brazil beat Australia 75-71
Leandrinho Barbosa had 16 points for Brazil, and Marcelinho Huertas had 15 points and 10 assists. Patty Mills had 20 points and Joe Ingles 15 for Australia.
USA beat France 98-71.
Kevin Durant had 22 points and 9 rebounds to lead USA, with Kevin Love adding 14, Kobe Bryant 10, and LeBron James 9 points, 5 rebounds and 8 assists. Ali Traore and Tony Parker led France with 12 and 10 points respectively.
Spain beat China 97-81.
Pau Gasol had 21 points, 11 rebounds and 4 assists on 11/15 shooting, and Serge Ibaka had 17 points. Jianlian Yi was impressive for China with a 30 point, 12 rebound double double on 13/19 shooting.
Argentina beat Lithuania 102-79
Luis Scola had 32 points on 63% shooting from the field (12/19), Manu Ginobili had 21 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists, whilst Carlos Delfino added 20. Lina Kleiza had 20 points to lead Lithuania.
Quote of the Day
Argentina’s Luis Scola after the game against Lithuania:
“In this game I am emotional because in the Olympic Games every game is big, not like in the NBA or the EuroLeague where if you lose nothing could change for a day, a week or even a month. In the Olympic Games, one game can change everything.”
- GB starters: Nate Reinking, Luol Deng, Drew Sullivan, Pops Mensah-Bonsu & Joel Freeland.
- Interestingly, Luol Deng was listed as the captain on the box score.
- I said it on the Twitter feed a few times – but it was shocking how many empty seats there were throughout the day during the different games.
- The Lithuania-Argentina game was by far the loudest game of the day, with fans chanting/clapping/booing/screaming throughout the game – it was crazy!
- Amazing how much busier the press tribune got during the USA game, I can’t imagine how it is going to be during the semis and finals.
- Highlight of the day goes to Pau Gasol and his baseline reverse dunk all over China. There were a number of other nice plays, including a LeBron James spectacular no look dish to Carmelo Anthony for the score.
- Food in the Olympic park (as you’d expect) is extremely expensive – no better time to make pack lunches!
- GB’s lack of a point guard really shows. 14 first half turnovers, and a number of them were a result of bigs trying to handle the ball.
- Russia’s Aleksey Shved was spectacular to watch. Him and Andrei Kirilenko will be one of the best 1-2 punches in the tournament.
Did you catch any of the games? Thoughts?
Join the 8000+ others who follow Hoopsfix and subscribe.